Sunday, July 24, 2011

Serendipity Kicked My Cat's Ass

If you don't know already, I am a full time Art Director by day--it's my bacon job.
Well, the Husband and I aren't taking any vacations this year, and I have to use my time or lose it, so I put in for Thursday and Friday off this past week. I am getting down to the end of "The Devil Stood Up" and I figured I could use the time to write to my heart's content. Kind of pretend I was a 'real' writer. (I know, I know! I said I had no such fantasies; it was in the previous post for God's sake!...but maybe I do...a little...just a little...)
Anyway, good plan, right? Four day writing extravaganza! Woot! As long as I was able to keep myself home, I figured I'd get a good bit done.
Then, guess what? My cat became gravely ill two days beforehand. Very, seriously, ill. It was a urine thing; I won't burden you with the details (emergency vet, blockage, catheter, ouch!), but the upshot was that Chewie and I spent my two days off sequestered in my writing room (okay, my closet) and I wrote and wrote and wrote and...well, you get the idea. I wrote a lot. Lots of words.
Between the writing and the worrying and the distracting someone from licking their...um...boy parts, I was exhausted, but I also felt really good, like I'd accomplished something.
So, serendipity kicked my cat's ass. I'm not really ready to say "Thanks, Serendipity, for forcing me to stay in my room for two days straight by putting my cat's life in jeopardy!", but I am nonetheless grateful for any time I get to write.

Keri, thanks for the comment! I can't answer back (see posts relating to my technological impairment), so please feel free to email me at doughertybooks@gmail.com. I'd love to have your thoughts on the books!

1 comment:

Test said...

Poor kitty! Is he doing better now?