Sunday, March 25, 2012

Fake It 'till You Make It

Writing books is time consuming, sometimes stressful, and very often an ongoing fight against self-doubt. Is there any voice harsher than the internal critic? I am learning to combat it with humor and bravado. Fake it 'till you make it, I guess.

Marketing books is stressful, stressful, and stressful. I'm tweeting and facebooking, goodreading and linking in, doing author interviews and blogging...it takes a lot of time and more than a little self confidence. Neither of which do I have in abundance.  But i'ts becoming another exercise in fake it 'till you make it. You have to be visible; you have to pique people's curiosity. I'm still figuring out the best ways to do that. I wish I could just post pictures of my boobs...it would be so much easier than trying to be actually engaging. Unfortunately, I  am not photogenic. In any respect. Ha!

We're getting a nice little following. I get kind and enthusiastic emails and am being invited to more book clubs. I have people who come to events to see me. It's exciting but more than that, it's friggin' encouraging.  I know that, in theory, I should be writing for myself...but I'm not.

I'm writing so that someone will read it. And tell me they liked it. And tell me they were entertained. And tell me they will be reading another book.

That's why I'm writing.

No comments: