Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lasagna and Bravery

We have friends coming over for dinner today and I am making lasagna. I love lasagna, but I don't make it very often; it is a process not to be taken lightly. There are a lot of steps, a lot of prep, burned fingers (damn you, noodles!) and a lot of dishes to wash when you're done. And there are NO shortcuts to a really good lasagna. I learned that from Italians, so it must be true.

Is there an analogy here that can be drawn to writing? I guess. But I actually have to watch the noodles right now. So, maybe you could let me know what you think about lasagna and writing (or any craft, really).

In the meantime, I am going to be brave and post a link to a review I received this week on "The Devil Stood Up". I've posted all my reviews in the past and always wondered what I'd do in the case of a bad review...could I post it? Would I have the mental fortitude?

The answer, as it turns out, is 'yes'. While this is by no means a bad review, I would call it conflicted. But Devil seems to do that to some people. So but anyway, I am going to be brave and post the link:

http://thegingernutcase.blogspot.com/2012/02/devil-stands-up-by-christine-dougherty.html

I actually get it, because I can relate. When I read "Gerald's Game" by Stephen King (my hero) I really didn't like it at all. It wasn't the writing that I objected to, it was the content.

And "The Devil Stood Up" definitely has objectionable content in spades.

No comments: